I travel to see new places, but am very happy to find sameness in far distances – the golden sunsets, the calm and turbulent waters, the quiet solitude, the multitude of Colours. Sometimes I wonder if my travel photographs appear to be a repetition of the same place to the viewer.
But I like to try out something new each time – not because I want to tick a list of things I ‘should’ be doing, but because being in a new place somehow allows me to be different. I feel like I can reinvent myself in a foreign country where no one knows me.
Below is a list of all the new things I tried in my recent travels to Chile and Argentina. I loved most of these (except may be quail!)
- Visit a new continent (Yay!)
- Trek in high altitude
- Breathing from an oxygen tank (what a high!)
- See llamas, guanacos, condors, an armadillo and a puma!
- Ride a horse
- Trek on a glacier
- See an ice field (and a bloody Long one too)
- Roll down sand dunes
- New food – Chilean/Argentinian/Guatamelan/Colombian. Tried quail. Became a big fan of Merken.
- See a tango performance
I would love to spend more time in Patagonia, but it is hard to match the delight of meeting a place the first time.